Your Needs, Your Goals, Your Legacy
William P. Burns Jr.
- Family Law
Attorney William P. Burns, Jr. focuses his practice on estate planning and represents a diverse range of clients from all walks of life. He takes education-focused approach in his practice with the goal of educating his clients, guiding them in their decision-making process and providing clients with top-notch representation that allows them to find the perfect solution for their estates.
Bill works with a number of financial professionals and institutions in order to effectively represent his clients. The goal is to serve the client, not only from a legal perspective, but from a whole-life prospective, thoughtfully considering what the client truly needs for their plan.
A Connecticut native, Bill spends time with his clients to understand the unique needs of their families and helps them develop an effective plan. His practice is grown from many years as a family lawyer where he saw the damage left behind when an estate plan failed. And they often failed. Ex-spouses were walking away with family inheritances. Trusts were going unfunded leaving children with nothing but expensive, but ultimately, value-less paperwork. Seniors who needed end of life planning struggling to find a way to pay their bills when medical issues became financially unmanageable.
Bill obtained his undergraduate degree from the University of Connecticut where he graduated cum laude. After graduating from UCONN, Bill obtained his Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) series 6, 7, 63 and 65 licenses. He earned his Juris Doctorate from Quinnipiac University School of Law, also cum laude. While in law school, Bill was actively involved in the Tax Law Society as its President and directed the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program at the Law School. His interest in tax law and financial planning has spilled over into his practice and his ability to see long term consequences to various estate planning options. Currently, Bill lives in Monroe with his wife, Christine, and their 3 children. Bill is licensed in both the Connecticut State and Federal courts. He is also admitted to the United States Tax Court and the Mash.
- Quinnipiac College School of Law, Hamden, Connecticut
- Honors: cum laude
- Being named American Society of Legal Advocates Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in Connecticut
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers from the National Trial Lawyers
- Recognized by Avvo with a Family Choice Award
- Named a Connecticut Super Lawyers’ Rising Star in 2011 and 2012
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys – 10 Best 2016, 2015, and 2014 Client Satisfaction Award
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys – Top 10 under 40, 2014
- Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell with a Client Distinction Award
- Formerly earned Series 6, Series 7 and Series 63 Licenses
Current Employment Position